Have maps, will travel!

Opportunity knocked. Okay, so we held it's hand up to the door and made it knock, but we're off traveling again! Use this blog to keep up with us as we travel across America. Our ultimate destination: the Grand Canyon. Our stops along the way: Oklahoma City, Lubbock (TX), Carlsbad Caverns, Roswell (NM), Albuquerque (NM), Santa Fe (NM), Mesa Verde National Park and Monument Valley.

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Day 2: West Memphis, Arkansas, to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Heather: We made real good time, driving to Oklahoma City. We spent 454 miles just on I-40 West today. That's over nine hours, when you have to make 2 bathroom breaks and a lunch break. It sure felt nice to arrive at our fabulous hotel suites and get ourselves into the hotel pool. The supper I pre-prepared at home was extra good, and then we gathered around the laptop to watch a chick flick. We were going down to the pool again this evening, but everyone was too tired, so it will be showers and bed for all of us.

Janelle: So much driving in only two days. We've been on the road almost nonstop since 5:15 the other day--and I am proud to say that I have not once asked for a bathroom break (though I did take advantage of it every time someone else did). The Super 8 we stayed at last night was incidentally not all that super, but for one night it was adequate--and in any case it was preferable to sleeping in the van. (I must say that the van is quite spacious, though--probably the biggest vehicle I've ever ridden in, excepting buses and airplanes.) Our hotel here in Oklahoma City is much nicer. Funny, then, that my inner hillbilly would choose to manifest itself HERE--I've been walking around barefoot more than my mother would ever allow, and if it's possible I think my accent may have gotten thicker...We'll see if I do anything truly embarassing at mass tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, nice Janelle (this is Melina btw). I love that you are going barefoot! Yay for no shoes! Take lots of pictures! I can't wait to see them when you get back!!!

    ReplyDelete