Have maps, will travel!

Opportunity knocked. Okay, so we held it's hand up to the door and made it knock, but we're off traveling again! Use this blog to keep up with us as we travel across America. Our ultimate destination: the Grand Canyon. Our stops along the way: Oklahoma City, Lubbock (TX), Carlsbad Caverns, Roswell (NM), Albuquerque (NM), Santa Fe (NM), Mesa Verde National Park and Monument Valley.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day 5 - Carlsbad Caverns

Last night I learned a lesson about practicing what you preach. I accidentally left some Hersey kisses in my day pack, and when I used my day pack for a pillow I found out why you should never take sweets into your tent. Little fire ants found the chocolate and were kind of mad at me for interrupting their feast. They were all over me and the sleeping bag, biting me and eventually Charles. Charles woke up as I was trying to brush them off my arms and legs, and all Anna heard Charles say, "Heather, you can't kill them all," so she decided to stay quiet and pretend to be asleep. Charles and I slept in the van.

I had been to Carlsbad Caverns before, when I was about 5 years old and we were living in Lubbock, TX. The cave formations were impressive, but the bats really stole the show. It had been unpleasant weather the night before, so few bats flew out. That made our show even more impressive. Thousands and thousands of bats flew out of their cave and swirled around the cave entrance a few times, before flying off to find water. We watched for 45 silent minutes, and only left because we couldn't see any more, but the bats were still coming out.

No comments:

Post a Comment